Easily enjoyable as an apériti for with Oriental cuisines, this Teaninich also rewards more subtle exploration. On the surface straight forward and zesty, it combines grassy and citrus notes to great effect, while below a rich and also light sweetness provides a welcome introduction to its true complexity.
Appearance: Pale golden sunlight. Fine beading.
Nose: Approachable and gently drying. At first citrus – fruity and fragrant; pears in syrup, lychees, mandarin sand lemon sherbet, with honey suckle and perfumed oak. Behind this there’s a spicier edge, with notes of cinnamon and nutmeg then toffee apples, green grass or moss and pastry, with alate suggestion of almonds. After a few minutes, sweet notes dominate, with candy, vanilla toffee and creamy fudge balanced by a softly spicy back ground. Adding a little water brings up more soft fudge.
Body: Medium. Rich and smooth texture.
Palate: Unctuous and sweet, suggesting a fondant cream with a spicy edge. An initial burst of citrus is swept away by candied sweetness and a prickle of spice, before lemon cake, digestive biscuits and spiced porridge rollin. Notes of sharper oak then fade to reveal hints of wine gum and lemon zest. Water softens the candy sweetness; revealing more leafy notes, sweet and creamy toffee,and more orchard fruit; sweet apple and ripe pear.
Finish: Lengthy and warming with spicy oak – wood, a pinch of white pepper, lingering candied sweetness.
Out of stockCompare
A limited edition, natural cask strength Single Malt Scotch Whisky.
From Teaninich, a respected distillery in the Coastal Highland region.
A first release in this series from the original distiller’s stocks. From refill American oak hogsheads and ASBs filled in 1999.
Limited availability worldwide.
Founded in 1817 by Captain Hugh Munro, owner of the Teaninich Estate, Alness.
In the twelve years that followed, of four such distilleries locally only Teaninich survived. By 1830 output had risen thirty-fold; distilling had come to stay.
Brother John, a local benefactor, inherited; he leased the distillery to others whilst serving in India.
A long period under the ownership of whisky broker Robert Innes Cameron ended in 1933.
Little changed until 1970, when a second distillery was built next door, more than doubling capacity. Both produced side by side until being mothballed in the mid-80s industry-wide wave of closures.
New distillery was revived in 1991; has produced since, older expressions well regarded.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.